Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Roman Barcino Field Trip



            Sorry I did not get to writing this sooner, seeing as how it has been a month since we went on the field to the Gothic district and the Museu d’Historia de la Ciutat.  Let me first start off by saying I love the field trips!  They are so informative and at the same time really cool and exciting.  It is always better to learn things first hand rather than sitting inside the classroom.  I saw all the similarities and differences between Roman architecture and the current Catalan buildings.  Pillars have managed to never go out of style, as well as statues on the corners of roofs and large doors for entrances.  I loved being able to see the original sewer systems and housing foundations when we went underground at the museum.  That might have been my favorite part of the field trip although the ancient roman pillars inside the apartment buildings was an amazing experience!  I learned about the triangles above many roman doorways as a typical style of their time.  Their sewing needles and wax tablets really surprised me because I never would have thought they were so advanced.  The needles had the tiny hole at one end to thread the string which I can’t believe they made without modern machinery.
              I learned a lot about wine in Catalunya and how much of a presence it has had since Roman times.  I did not realize how big of an exporter this region used to be, and partially still is today, although the quality of wine it produces is not known to be the very best.  The ancient wine distillery we saw in the basement of the museum with the egg shaped containers was really something I will probably never see again.  I cannot believe how well preserved they are to this day, and the whole setup of the room was quite unique.  Now I know the god of wine is Bacus, and that each city in ancient times had their own patron saint, which for Barcelona is la Moreneta.  I can honestly say I have learned more in this field study than I think any classroom could ever teach me because being able to touch and see these with my own eyes has given it a lasting impression that I won’t forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment