Monday, November 5, 2012

Omar Sosa and Paolo Fresu kick off Barcelona’s International Jazz Festival


         
   I wish I had known earlier about this month long jazz festival that is held every year in Barcelona!  Luckily it just started so I hope I can easily find tickets to attend some of the many concerts that will take place this November.  Although I am not a huge fan of jazz, I know that seeing it live makes it much better and really enjoyable.  It said in the article that both Sosa, the pianist, and Fresu, the trumpeter, had an intimate opening convert at the Luz de Gas club, which is only a couple blocks from my apartment!  That would have been amazing to go see, and my local friends tell me that some of the players for FC Barcelona also attend that club.  It would have been a great cultural experience and a good time in general.
            The article also said that there will be 56 concerts performed by 80 different bands.  This includes both internationally known jazz musicians, as well as local Catalans like Animes Candides.  Although I do not know that particular band, it is cool to see artists from around this area performing alongside the best in the business.  I know Catalunya is known for their outdoor concerts so I hope I can enjoy a nice evening with my friends listening to them outside.
            I do not know very much about the type of music Catalans listen to, aside from the house music at the clubs, but after walking around the city, and reading this article, I have the feeling that they enjoy jazz a lot.  In the Gothic district I have passed a few small jazz clubs that seem very relaxed and fun.  Maybe I will stop inside one day and see for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment