Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Field Trip to El Raval



Today’s field trip to the Raval district has been my favorite out of the three class trips we have taken.  I say this not because of the amazing architecture or specific historical landmarks we visited, but because it is the most true Barcelona and Catalan place.  What I mean is that this part of town is where locals go and meet up to hang out for a bit, to skateboard for example, or to go to bars and relax.   I got the feeling while in the area that this is the place where I can truly immerse myself into Spanish culture.  I loved every minute of the trip and all I could think about was coming back here as soon as possible. 
I also loved the open spaces and plazas that were everywhere in that area, because they made it seem warm and welcoming for families and visitors.  El Universitat de Barcelona was also a highlight of the trip, because I easily saw myself attending that school and feeling at home.  It was right next to another plaza that was full of people and energy.  I enjoyed the museum with the crypt and it was really cool to hear that the city of Barcelona funds such places, which shows me how much everyone cares about preserving and showing their culture and history.  Hopefully when the crypt opens back up to visitors next week, my friends and I will attend. 
The last thing I can remember about the field trip that I really liked was all the street graffiti that I saw.  Before coming to Barcelona, I only thought of this as a problem and something that vandals do, but now after seeing all the amazing pictures and murals they have made, I think of it as a true form of art.  Some of the graffiti I saw today was quite amazing and inspiring, and I have included two of my favorite pictures that I took in el Raval as part of this blog.  I hope you think they are as interesting as I do!
Now that there are only a couple more weeks left here in Barcelona, I am starting to get nervous that I will not do everything that I still want to.  After seeing el Raval and all the interesting and fun things that it holds, I am angry I did not know about this place sooner!  That is my own fault, but at least I was able to see it before I return home to America.







No comments:

Post a Comment