Tuesday, October 9, 2012

La Merçè

La Merçè: Correfocs i Gegants




A couple weeks ago my friends and I woke up early to see the parade of Gegants and Castellers during La Merçè.  It was amazing and I have never seen anything remotely like it all my life!  I love how much passion and enthusiasm the Catalan people have for their traditional holidays, and although I too see that in America, there is still something different and unique about it here.  The Gegants were so elegantly crafted I could tell whoever was behind their creation spent a lot of time and dedication.  On top of that, the musicians who played in the parade alongside the props were also very talented and complimented the festival very well.  However I think my favorite part of La Merçè were the Castellers that performed in Plaça Sant Jaume right in-between the government and historical buildings.  They amazed me with their bravery, especially the very young children, including girls, who climbed to the very top to be the centerpiece of the whole manmade structure.  I could not believe my eyes when I saw how many levels high they grew to, and it was something that pictures fail to do it justice.  I am so happy I decided to stay in Barcelona for that weekend because I think that for me, a non-native of the area, I am unsure I will ever see it again in person.  The whole festival made me really appreciate Catalan culture and understand how deep its connections are with histories past.  Hopefully I will continue seeing other spectacles similar to these before I leave Barcelona this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment